Thursday 9 September 2010

City Rainbow & Whole Foods (mini) Haul

I had a bit of an odd food day yesterday. My initial plan was to get up early & get to Whole Foods before my day of meetings. However, when I discovered it crashing down with rain at 6am I had an extra hour in bed before heading into London.

I arrived in London at 9.30am and headed straight for Konditor & Cook. This was a mistake. In my mind I had 'Pecan Brownie'. In reality I ended up with Curly Wurly Brownie and a Fudgepacker Brownie. Thats right, instead of the one type of Brownie they didn't have, I bought two random varieties! I wasn't actually overly impressed with either. The Curly Wurly one was much nice, but had just a tiny amount of cheesecake swirling on the top and the Fudgepacker just appeared to have a fudge sauce drizzled over the top. For the place I consider to be the best Brownies in London I was disappointed. I actually think my cheesecake brownies are better and for a fudgepacker brownie I'd expect at least chunks of fudge in the cake mix!

Anyhoo, so I ate one on the walk over to my meeting. On the way I met a really cute black & white cake cat. I really like city cats, they are hard as nails!

Once at my meeting, I poured a glass of fresh orange juice and the meeting began. At midday the buffet arrived. I had a cheese/ham quarter, 2 roasted vegetable quarters (a bit nasty really!) and a chicken salad quarter all on brown bread. I topped up with a small handful of ready salted crisps which tasted amazing and quite possibly the worlds smallest Banana. Afterwards I ate the second Brownie and sat back in my chair for the rest of the meeting knowing full well I was in a sugar induced coma and was unlikely to be able to participate in any discussion.

The meeting finished about 1.30pm and I walked over to my office, I walked with some colleagues so didn't make my planned diversion through Borough Market. As the sugar began to wear off I had a real craving for more salty crisps. I had a real mental battle over whether or not eating the crisps was a good idea. I was worried that if I didn't eat, I'd buy a stack of unnecessary things from Whole Foods. However, I won the battle deciding that I could live without the crisps and that I'd just get dinner pretty sharpish after leaving the office.

I headed out from work at 4pm and headed straight to Piccadilly. When I got on the tube at Southwark the sun was shining, when I exited the tube at Piccadilly there was torrential downpour. This morning as I'm typing this, my shoes are still soaked through from the downpour. Thankfully I did have a waterproof coat and an umbrella, but it didn't save my feet! I met up with my friend on Shaftesbury Avenue (he'd had to take shelter from the rain as he only had shorts & a t-shirt on!), so I went to resuce him with my umbrella. From there we walked over to Brewer Street to Whole Foods.

Whole Foods was quite exciting, though not as big as I had expected. I guess for the uber store I need to go to the Kensington Branch - on my list of things to do next time I'm in London.

That said, they had a great selection of fresh fruits/veggies, cheeses, dairy products & store cupboard essentials. I also spied some awesome looking vegan cakes. Unfortunately, given how bad the weather was and how much I was running around London, I had to make my purchases sensibly - booo! No cakes for me as they'd have got mushed in seconds in a bag with my laptop.


This is my haul. I got:
* Teapigs Chilli Chai - I really like the Chai tea and I love chilli, so I hope I like this too.
* McCann Steel Cut Oats
* Crunchy Peanut Butter
* 3 Pulsin Bars
* 2 Clif bars
* 1 Almond Bounce Ball
* Bag of Choco Coconut Granola

I also got this bag to bring it all home in which I could also fit my laptop bag in so made the journey around London much easier!


After Whole Foods, we went over to a Sam Smiths pub where I had a generic diet Cola and a few salt & vinegar crisps whilst we decided where to eat. We decided on Japanese and set off to Osatuma where I had another Diet Coke (this time branded) and Chicken Yaki Soba. It was delicious. I totally dig that pink ginger stuff they put on top, its yummy.

After eating, we were into the 'after work rush' in the pubs, so we tried a few before we found one with seats. On the way the rain had cleared and there was the most AWESOME rainbow across the sky. There is something about Rainbows in cities that I really love. It was at this point that I got a bit pissed about leaving my camera at home, my iphone camera just didn't really do this justice!
In this next/last pub I mixed things up a little and had a lime & lemonade which was nice and refreshing. We sat upstairs and we were the only people up there! The windows were wide open and there was a lovely breeze coming in. We chatted for a little while longer before I realised it was 7.30pm and I was hoping to get the 8.05pm train back so I'd have some time to spend with Mr H and the puglins before bed. We finished our drinks and hot footed it to the tube. I made it back to Waterloo with plenty of time. The train journey went quite quickly, I was playing games on my iphone and checking out some blogs.

Once back to Winchester I had the epic task of getting back to my car which was practically in another post code it was so far from the Station entrance. I decided to run it to speed things up and with the extra weight I was carrying in my bags it definately raised my heart rate nicely.

When I got home Mr H had been a complete sweetie and had been food shopping and done all the washing up ♥

I got into my pjs and snuggled up on the sofa with the pugs to watch Holby City on the planner. We got a relatively early night by being in bed at 10.30pm on the dot.

I had a pretty random nights sleep though. At 11.30pm I got a text from a friend inviting us to their wedding rehearsal on the 28th September.... I'm doing a reading at this wedding and should probably go, but it clashes with a 2 day team event we're having at work. I had better practice the reading though anyway, perhaps do a test run with my Mum as the audience at the weekend. After the text I got back to sleep and woke up again at 1.46am with our cordless phone beeping. It's brighter than the sun so we cover it at night, but sometimes whatever we cover it with knocks it out of its cradle and the battery starts to die. So it beeps to alert you to that fact. I was out of bed in seconds and literally ripped the phone apart. This morning it took me some time to relocate both batteries and the plastic cover that I removed. The last time I woke up was 1 minute before my alarm went off at 5.44am, needless to say feeling a little bit crap for the amount of times I'd been woken up during the night. Mr H soon rectified that though with an app on his Iphone informing me that its only 107 sleeps til Christmas. Squee!

Todays plans are pretty straight forward, Choconut Podge for Breakfast, 2 x Protein Shakes, Banana, Quarter of a Honeydew Melon, Ham/cheese/Spinach Pitta for Lunch, Paquito Squash Soup and Rolls for dinner and one of the Pulsin bars (Energy Bomb!) before my workout this evening.

7 comments:

  1. Oh how I love wholefoods! I went to the same branch in London, I could easily spend a fortune in there so its probably a good job I live over 100 miles from the closest store! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked at Winchester on the map and was happy to see it's not far from where Neal's brother lives. Perhaps we could come and visit you next time we're down to see him??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee look at the mistake you made in the first part of your blog:

    " On the way I met a really cute black & white cake. "

    Someone has CAKE on their mind!!! :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura - I think Whole Foods could become dangerous. I work in London several times a month! Thankfully the biggest store is a bit out of the way in terms of the tube lines, but I don't think it will stop me forever.

    Gayle - Where does Neal's brother live? Would be lovely to see you guys again! As a matter of fact, I'll probably be in Bristol again on Satuday 9th October as it's part of Mr H's tour. Think they are playing at Thekla.

    LME - Haha! Amazing, I love that I type about cake when I mean cat! I always have cake on the brain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LoL. I just read Cat. Cake sounds better tho!

    Neal's brother lives in a village called Everleigh which is near Andover.

    We are about on the 9th October if you fancied meeting up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah yes, Andover isn't far away at all!

    I'll find out what the plan is for Bristol and let you know a little nearer the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see someone else as excited about christmas as me haha! I'd love to go to the Wholefoods in London, we have a great wholefood type store over here but it's only tiny.

    ReplyDelete