Thursday 16 September 2010

Free Apples!

Squee! Imagine my suprise yesterday afternoon when the doorbell rang. Surely no one knew I was home? I never answer the door if I'm not expecting anyone, but I was pretty bored so broke my own rules and headed to the door. It was the man from across the road with a giant crate of assorted apples from his garden. He asked if I wanted any - heck yes! I took most of them. I can't wait to cook these up tomorrow. Going to make some massive batches of unsweetened apple sauce and maybe some apple pies/slices. Oh the decisions!



What would you do with a massive stash of apples?


Things in camp me+1 are going ok. Yesterday we told the rest of our parents. Mr H really wanted to tell someone, so we decided to tell his parents - I swear I heard the squeals from the Isle of Wight where they'd been told over the loudspeaker on the telephone in a cafe! We also drove over to my Dads house in the evening and told him, my Step Mum and my Nan. Bless them all, Mr H's Mum is going to knit blankets and my Step Mum was itching to find something we want knitted and even my Nan is thinking about coming out of knitting retirement to make matinee jackets - SOOO CUTE! However, telling everyone has been tainted with a few issues.

1) My Nan is 90 years old and who knows who she may tell. Whilst its only likely to be my Aunt/Cousins & My Brother, I don't want the news to get as far as Facebook (thinking Cousin posting to say congrats for example). This worries me.

2) We've already had our first pathetic disagreement with Mr H's mum over names - SERIOUSLY!? She asked in passing if we'd thought of anything yet, and we said we had discussed a few. She liked our choice for a boys name, but said she hated the idea of the girls name we like - and suggested a really tacky trailer park name. I think she will really struggle with how we're going to go about 'kids'.

3) Both Mothers have already got carried away, my Mum was awake all Tuesday night searching the internet for baby items and the MIL actually bought two things yesterday (though she hasn't told us what).

Anyway, the polls are in and are currently looking like this:
Boy : 2 votes (Mr H's Mum & Mr H)
Girl: 2 votes (Me & Mr H's Dad)

I think yesterday was the first day I might have got just a little bit excited. I was crunching some numbers trying to figure out what we can afford and did some rough costings. The best thing I worked out was that if we both save £250 a month from here on in (on top of the savings I already have), it means that we do not need to eat into our £1000 a month savings to cover the deficit in my salary. Which means that at the end of 2012 when I'd be back at work, we'd have a tidy sum stashed away so we could think about moving house.

Other than that side of things, this whole nausea lark sucks! There was an accident on the road on my way to work and it held me up for an extra 30 minutes (so 1.5 hours in to work). The traffic was just moving so slowly and the vibrations of the car were horrendous. Even having been at work now for over an hour my stomach is still churning. I think I'd honestly just prefer to be sick and get it out of the way, this feeling sick thing is just like being hungover all day. I am not impressed.

I'm hoping to get over to the gym at lunchtime, because I've had a cold I've not done anything since last week. Going to do a full body workout as it's the last day this week that I have access to the gym. Got a yummy lunch lined up too! Leftover Ratatouille with Fiery Chilli Pesto and a little grated cheese on top and a wholemeal pitta, I cannot wait until lunch.

5 comments:

  1. Your lunch sounds yummy! I would make my apple, berry and cinnamon compote with those apples, its delicious. I need to find someone with a tree in their garden! Hope the morning sickness isn't too bad! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nic - I have a pile of free apples too!!! That was going to be my post tonight!! Ha ha. Snap. Will have to keep an eye on what you are doing with yours - here's me thinking just apple crumble. Although I also thought of turning some into apple muffins. Mmmm. Of the unhealthy variety (butter, sugar the works).

    Sounds like your family are over the moon! I'm sure they will have lots of opinions between them all, families always do. But when the little bundle of joy arrives they won't care what name you've chosen as i'm sure he/she will be beautiful. (Just out of interest are you planning on finding out the sex??)

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmn, that sounds yummy! Is the recipe on your blog? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, totally will find out. I'm a natural planner! Luckily Mr H wants to know too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nic the compote recipe is on Laura's blog, i saw it earlier, it looks yum!

    i agree with LME - once the bump arrives into a bundle no one will care, but you will undoubtedly get a tonne of opinions along the way! you just got to roll with it!

    your plans for the future sounds fab well done! x

    ReplyDelete