Tuesday 7 September 2010

Recap of the Weekend

Firstly, lets look at my weekly goals and see how I did:
* Food Diary everyday - pretty much
* Exercise 5 times - pretty much :P
* Beat 36 lengths in 30 minutes at the swimming pool - yup, 41 lengths
* Run 9 miles (thinking probably a 3 miler and 6 miler) - nope, ran zero miles
* 2 litres of water a day - yup

Nothing to write home about really, must do better!

The weekend was good, despite not getting in any structured exercise, I did a fair amount of manual labour and stacks of walking.

Saturday was the local fete, Mr H and I were in charge of the hoopla stall


Just look at the colours of those drinks! Apparently they were sugar free, but anything that colour cannot be safe for human consumption!!! We raised £82.60, which was more than £30 more than last years takings :D

The fete had lots on offer. Yummy cake made by the WI, unpictured as it did not last long enough! Local beer...
Ferret Racing...

Flower show, I love looking at the beautiful flowers people have grown in their gardens...

Fruit/Vegetable exhibits, again all grown by local people. First up, Pears...

Beautifully arranged raspberries, the size of cherry tomatoes...

Talking of tomatoes, look how perfectly sized these all are! Practically identical.

Blackberries which made the ones we picked in the woods earlier in the week so insignificant!

and finally, carrots and onions! I never will understand why onions have to be displayed in a glass dish filled with fine sand. Weird!
It was lovely to get involved with the local community and meet some new people. We will definately be getting involved again next year, perhaps we'll try and get on the fete committee.

Saturday evening was a bit of a wipe out. We were rather tired from a whole day helping out, so we caved and ordered in a curry. Last time we did it we felt terrible the day afterwards, I guess our tummies are just not used to such rich food. But we'd clearly forgotton that! About half an hour after eating we felt bad again. Takeaway curry is definately off the menu for good! It's not worth how bad it makes us feel.

Sunday I was up early to head down to Bristol to support some fabulous ladies running their first Half Marathon. I got into Bristol about 10.45, it took me nearly an hour to make my way into town around all the runners! However, on my detour I found a pretty cool old dispensary building. Check out the seperate entrance for Women. Awesome! The extra doors were all sealed up now, but I love things like this.

I finally found Gayle and her husband and Kat's husband. We then started waiting for the runners to return. We had quite a haul of cake, just waiting to be eaten.

On offer were Chocolate Chip Cookies made by Alex, Raspberry/Chocolate Blondies made by Kat, Banoffee style Millionaires Shortbread and the pictured cupcakes supplied by Gayle, PBGB (made with Almond butter) made by me and some Fudge Babies made by Hannah.

Despite not running 13.1 miles, I did partake in a little cake eating! The girls who ran the Marathon did super well, Hannah ran it in around 2.10, Kat in 2.20 and Alex in 2.30. Amazing! They certainly deserved their cakey rewards.

We went to an eatery called the Watershed where I had a Flatbread with Olives, Feta and Peppers on. It was really lush, but I couldn't finish it all was a little too rich towards the end. Afterwards we had a mooch around the various shops of Bristol, firmly cementing the idea into my mind that I have to return after for some serious shopping! Hurry up September pay day please.

I made it home about 7pm (after passing 3 accidents on the M4!!) and went straight into making Beef/Beer Stew.


It was nice, but not as amazing as it is when it's allowed to simmer for 3-4 hours. I let it cook for about an hour in total so the beef wasn't as soft as it could have been. But I was pretty freakin' hungry, so I had no choice. I served the stew with some brocolli and parsnips.

I was wrecked in the evening and I'd not even run a half Marathon, just watched one!

1 comment:

  1. Those cupcakes look amazing but not as good as those raspberries!

    ReplyDelete