Monday 13 September 2010

Times are a Changin'

I was not so great at blogging last week... there has been a change of plan/focus.

I'm pregnant.

As of today I'm only 4+2 along, so it's clearly VERY early days. Things could still go wrong and the more people that know the harder it will be if something does go wrong, but what I have realised over the weekend is how much information is lacking on the internet for active healthy pregnant people. So what I hope to achieve my blogging about these early days is a resource for future ladies in the same boat.

So you might be wondering what went on last week! For about a week I've had insanely sensitive boobs, not like period due sore boobs, like boobs so sore that if someone just looked at them I could feel it. This for me was not normal. My period was due on Thursday and it didn't arrive, so I took a test. There was an extremely faint line after about 10 minutes, but Mr H wasn't convinced so we assumed it was incorrect. I tested again Friday morning, another faint line, Mr H still unconvinced. Friday night I went on a mission to find a sensitive test - 4 supermarkets later and nothing!! Saturday morning I did another test, another faint line, this time a little clearer... Mr H still unconvinced. We got in the car and headed to 2 different Boots stores - both closed (despite saying they opened at 8.30am) and ended up getting a First Response test in Superdrug. We got home, I took the test, glaring positive. Mr H finally convinced :)

We were at Thorpe Park on Saturday for a friends 30th Birthday, I couldn't go on 99% of the rides. I blamed my shoulder sublux which fooled 4/6 of the other people there, however 2 of them totally guessed why. To be fair, it was Mr H's best friend and his fiancee and we know they'll keep it to themselves. Having a little girl of their own who is about to turn 2 makes them pretty good sources of knowledge, so I can imagine there will be a fair few phonecalls to them over the coming weeks.

I'm amazed already at how different my body is feeling, other than the crazy sensitive boobs, I'm bloated beyond belief. Tights feel tight, trousers feel like they are cutting in and I'm most comfortable in a pair of pj bottoms! Then theres the tiredness, the last two nights I've been asleep on the sofa by 8pm. On top of that theres the restless sleep, tossing and turning all night, feeling sick late morning to late afternoon (and on all car journeys), going off chocolate, not being able to eat large meals, craving salty things, feeling dizzy if I stand up too quickly - seriously this is not much fun.

On Sunday I saw my Mum, then some friends, then my Dad. We decided that other than our two friends guessing, that I should tell my Mum. After all, if something does happen, having someone we can get support from would be good. Plus my Mum is retired and if I need anything she's only a 20 minute car journey away. I was at her house for 1.5 hours before I sucked up enough courage to tell her - incidently as I was on my way out of the house!!! I ended up staying another 30 minutes whilst she squealed and was just generally gobsmacked. I think she showed her excitement much better than me and Mr H combined. I think even more so for Mr H it feels less than real. If it wasn't for my body feeling so different it would probably feel really surreal to me, but I've got that constant reminder. I'm sure it will sink in and the fear/apprehension will subside and be replaced by excitement.

So yeah, not much else to say really at this stage. I'll hopefully be able to gather some useful information over the coming weeks as I find out what I should/shouldn't be doing regarding exercise, what I should/shouldn't be eating, etc etc. Pregnancy is clearly a minefield and I'm like a deer caught in the headlights.

9 comments:

  1. :-o

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wouldn't believe how happy I am for you Nic, seriously. I've been thinking about you all weekend!

    Two websites that might help you on your quest:
    http://cassandraforsythe.blogspot.com/
    and
    http://www.cassandraforsythe.com/

    Cassandra is a registered dietitian, heavy lifter and was the nutritonist for New Rule of Lifting for Women. She's also recently become a first time mum. The first blog is her old one, and covers her early pregnancy and research she undertook as a pg person, and the second her later pregnancy and post-birth. She carried on lifting all the way through her pregnancy...

    Now I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing you again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :)

    I'll check those links out later, sound like they could be really useful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    OMG OMG OMGOMGOMGOMG!!!! That's such fabulous news, i'm so excited for you sweetie, i know you will be the healhtiest pregnant lady. Good luck for th pregnancy, I hope everything is textbook for you! Massive congratulations to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations that lovely news! Looking forward to reading about your healthy active pregnancy adventure - hopefully I will be able to pick up some tips for when my time comes in the future xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! CONGRATULATIONS! WwwwwwwwwwwwwEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

    Fingers crossed...Good Luck and keep us posted on progress and bump pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  7. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee how amazing is that!! its awsome news! i'm so so pleased for you and Mr H! i'm so glad you decided to share the news and that your going to blog about your pregnancy and trying to keep active and healthy, what a great subject its going to be! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just remembered, I don't know whether you follow this blog but she's pg too, her exercise regime seems to be more yoga based but she does some other stuff too. And she's very honest about when her body just wants junk!
    http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/

    ReplyDelete