Tuesday 7 September 2010

The Importance of Pre-Workout Fuel

During the working week, I do most of my exercise in my lunchbreak. This is about 4 hours after eating my breakfast and around an hour since my mid-morning snack. Even though I eat mid morning, I can quite often be hungry again as I set off for the gym (which is a 5 minute walk away). Working out hungry sucks. Fact.

Today I had a mug (well I use the term mug loosely, it was a paper cup) of Chai tea and a slice of PBGB (packed with Almond Butter, Sugar, Chocolate & Oats) and went to the gym without any sign of the grumblies.

I had an AWESOME session. According to my HR monitor in my 1 hour 3 minute session my stats were as follows:
Max HR - 177
Avg HR - 146
Calories Burnt - 706 (200 more than usual)

Time spent in the various 'Sport Zones' (MM:SS)
1 - hardly anything
2 - 15:21
3 - 26:00
4 - 19:36
5 - 1:50

I ran 2.4k on the treadmill at 10kmph then hit the weights for entire body and did some floor work and ab stuff. I also completed 90% of my physio routine aswell :)

Lesson learnt from today: Picking the right fuel for a workout makes all the difference.

I'm going to stock back up on Bounce Balls and have a look around for some new pre-workout foods.

What are your favourite pre-workout munchies and how soon before working out do you consume them?

1 comment:

  1. I love nakd bars or raisins and usually eat them about half an hour before working out. For long runs I like 9 bars and for some reason dates are like my super fuel! I'm also trying out some new Beet shots (concentrated beetroot juice) which should help to improve my performance and stamina apparently. 200 cals extra burn is an amazing difference x

    ReplyDelete