Monday 7 June 2010

10 rounds with Mike Tyson?

Nope, one round with my dentist. Since Friday I've felt like crap. I was worried about visiting the dentist. I was even more worried when they just got straight to it without giving me anything to numb my mouth. Of course I hardly felt a thing, but the sensation of being drilled and being 100% aware of it all was stomach churning.

The dentist gave me a course of antibiotics just incase anything flared up over the weekend as a result of poking around. On Saturday I was in pain, but this was expected so cancelled all my plans and chilled at home. When I woke up on Sunday morning I felt terrible. As I got out of bed I glanced into the mirror - who the heck was getting out bed?! It was wearing my clothes, and it had my body, but who is it!! My face is swollen... not just a little bit, but significantly swollen. As per the title of this post, other than the lack of bruising, it looks like I've been in a boxing ring.

Seriously, this is not what I need right now. My holiday was tainted with toothache and I've had a good week or so back home with no pain whatsoever. To think that I paid for this pain to return 10x as bad really pisses me off! What I forgot to mention was that when they drilled into my tooth, they discovered that the existing root canal is not going to be strong enough to support the posts for a crown. So they have to root fill again first, then we'll weigh up my options.

They put an estimated figure of how much this might potentially cost on a screen whilst I was rinsing out my mouth. £981, yup £981. Part of me just thinks I should have it out and be done with it, but I'm strangely attached to my teeth even if it is just the second from the back. That includes a new root canal and the £600 crown. I do have dental insurance which is certainly easing the trauma of such a bill, but its still an awful lot of money. With any luck, the new root canal will do the job for the time being and I can hold off for the crown til after payday (25th June).

But anyway, as a result of pain and disfiguring facial swelling, I've been pretty down in the dumps. Infact, pretty down in the dumps doesn't really describe it. I'm a firm believer that up to date in my life I've not experienced pain that gets worse than toothache. It kept me awake all night, even though I'm taking prescription only pain killers. I've not gone into work today because I can barely focus enough to get dressed let alone sit in an office without breaking into tears every 10 minutes because of the pain. It really sucks.

As a result of the pain, etc I didn't really eat 100% good over the weekend. Though to be honest, the worst things I ate were sausages at my Nans on Friday night, 2 slices of hot cross bun loaf and a few homemade muffins (chocolate, banana & oats and summer berries, applesauce & oats). But I think its the fact that I haven't done much exercise and over the weekend especially not leaving the house made me feel really sluggish. As a result, on Sunday evening I went out for a run. I covered just under 4 miles in just under 40 minutes. When I came home I did a weights session too. I felt a little better in myself having done it, but the good feeling soon wore off :(

Reviewing my goals from last week, I didn't do all that well, but in a 'the glass is half full' type attitude, I still managed 50% of them:

1. Gym - 3 days this week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday). FAIL - I went 1 day out of 3.
2. Running - At least 10 miles. FAIL - I ran 5 miles this week.
3. Drink 2 litres of Water a day. Check
4. Leg press 100kg. Check

In terms of goals for this week, I think I'll just have a few:
1. To exercise if I feel up for it.
2. To eat sensibly and try not to use food to make myself feel better.
3. Drink 2 litres of Water a day
4. Have 5 fruit and veg a day.

Food for today will be a little hit and miss. I'm not overly hungry with the pain and I'm struggling to eat things. It took me an hour to eat a salad yesterday for dinner and this morning I've had a bowl of bircher muesli sat beside me for the past hour and theres still loads left.

Breakfast: 30g Porridge Oats, 50ml Skimmed Milk, 50ml Apple Juice, 1 spoonful greek yoghurt, handful of mixed frozen berries, 2 tsp ground almonds, grated apple, 200ml Berocca.

Mid Morning: Protein Shake

Lunch: Porridge Pancake (30g Porridge Oats, 100ml Water, 1 Egg White & Nutella) & a pre-tesco Babybel.

Mid Afternoon: Mango

Dinner: Prawns & Avocado Salad

1 comment:

  1. oh goodness Nic! that sounds awful!! i hope it starts to ease soon and OMG to the price! thats outragous!!!!

    ReplyDelete