Thursday 3 June 2010

Popped Shoulder, Power Cuts and Pitta Pizza

Wednesday was quite a good day overall. I ate well during work hours and had a great session at the gym, including getting 100kg onto the leg press - woo! All afternoon I had dreamed of concocting some sort of oaty based muffins for lunchbox treats and was looking forward to getting home. However, about 5 minutes after getting in the house things started to go wrong. Firstly I managed to pop my shoulder again. Its been nearly 3 months since I first did it, this time I was just stretching my arms up above my head. I don't think I've ever screamed so loudly. I think I'm going to have to go back to my Doctor for a second opinion on whether or not they can do anything. Even if they just refer me to someone else, I can't live my life in the fear that I'm going to pop my shoulder out of its socket whenever I put my arm above my head! As a result I'm back to square one in terms of movement. Just fantastic. Then to top things off we had a power cut. After about 30 minutes I called the Electricity company who said that an engineer was not due out until 7.40pm (it was 6.15pm when the power went).

Thankfully we have a gas hob, so after rummaging around for some matches I managed to make fire and I could think about some dinner. I ended up having a pizza pitta as planned, but I stuffed the pittas with the filling and put it inside a saucepan to try and melt the cheese a bit. It strangely sort of worked. I served with a huge side salad and felt quite pleased with myself. Soon after finishing that I had a call from the Electricity company, the engineer was now not due out until 8pm at the earliest. Thinking positively, I grabbed my car keys and headed to Waitrose to get some ingredients for my muffins. I figured I could bake around 9pm and still have enough time for any muffins to cool to pack up before bed. Whilst in Waitrose I grabbed some sprouting pulses for my salads too. When Mr H got back from the gym I had a second dinner. I'm sure it was out of boredom. He made me a bagel with mozzarella, chicken, tomatoes, jalepenos and watercress. He saw the combination in a magazine I got him by Mens Health called Fuel. It was my attempt to pursuade him that everything I've been telling him about food is true. Funnily enough after reading it and seeing that fuelling your body is cool and confirmed by people who write magazines he's been alot more receptive to the kinds of food I give him. Also its been confirmed by a 7.5lb weight loss so far this year.

I'd seriously forgotten what its like not to have TV or internet or music or lights! Luckily I had my iphone to keep me entertained. I couldn't really do anything. I went to get the clothes to put the washing on - but no power. I went to do the washing up - but no hot water. I read a magazine for a while and walked the dogs, but by 10pm I was pretty bored. This made me feel a bit sad to be honest. That said, I'm sure had Mr H been home I'd have been ok entertainment wise, but he was at the gym so I was all alone. We called the Electricity company one last time at before bed and they said it should be back on by 1am. So we called it a night. Sure enough, at 6am this morning the kitchen cooker clock said 6:48, so the power must have come back on around 11pm.

Because of hurting my shoulder last night, I thought it best to not go to the gym today. It doesn't feel like I'm getting much use out of the limited equipment if I can't do a whole workout there. So instead I'm planning on a run this evening. I've got to get used to running in a bit of evening heat as thats what time my 10k on 7th July will be in. I think I'll probably do a 4-5 miler - might even drag Mr H out for a 6 miler if he's up for it. I'm not happy running the 6 miler on my own because it involves running down 2 roads with a national speed limit of 60mph. Don't like the thought of being hit by a car and left in a ditch somewhere. Speaking of being hit by cars though, I do hope all road runners reading this carry some sort of ID with them when running. I have a little bit of lamenated card that lives in the zip pocket of my capris with my name and an emergency contact number on.

Moving onto today's food, breakfast is the usual combo. Lunch is spinach, rocket, watercress, sprouting pulses and chicken (pictured). Snacks include a Babybel light, raspberries and a Banana. Not sure what dinner will be, haven't really thought about it. Possibly stuffed peppers and salad. Will get in another protein shake after my run too.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear your shoulder is playing up again. :(

    And the power - what a nightmare. I too would be frustrated - everything I did last night involved electric - my workout DVD, Ironing, Cooking (I too have gas hob though so at least I wouldn't be starving), washing, washing up, vacuuming, then watching TV. Wow I was a model housewife last night!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ouch Nic. Please get a second opinion as if you've torn the bit which holds it in the socket you might need a small op to repair the tear. Hope you recover soon x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ergh, that sounds scary! I've just booked an appointment but my retarded doctors surgery is stupidly busy. Earliest they can get me in is next wednesday and even that was after I sold my sob story that I work 50 miles away from where I live and its just not convienient to 'pop' in for an appointment unless its first thing in the morning or last thing in the afternoon. Unfortunately the appointment is with the same doctor who said it wasn't worth looking into, but maybe the fact that I'm going back will speak volumes.

    I guess the fact its happened 3 times in the past 3 months means that I should push them to give me some proper advice and not just tell me I should be able to live with it.

    ReplyDelete