Tuesday 29 June 2010

Looking back at 26

Tomorrow is my 27th Birthday. I thought it would be a sensible time to reflect upon the last 12 months of my life. I think I can honestly say I've had the best year since I was about 21. I've certainly had some high points and low points regarding my body, but generally it's been one less thing to worry about.

Looking at how my weight has fluctuated this year, this time last year I was 9st 8.5lbs. This was post-honeymoon and wedded bliss weight gain. I finally managed to shift it and this year I'm maintaining pretty much on 9st 2lbs exactly.

I feel way more body confident than I did even just 12 months ago. I have felt confident enough to have my arms on show and wear shorts/skirts that are above my knee line. That said, the dress I wore for my early Birthday party on Saturday I bottled at the last minute because I thought it was too short and it put the part of my thighs I was less confident with on show when I sat down (so I wore a pair of cut off tights).

I am still rediscovering what I look like in photos. The body I see in the mirror is not the body that I see in photographs. I had a picture taken of me on Sunday and I looked pretty good in it. I still find it quite alarming that my brain and my body aren't that matched up, but I am getting there.

Fitness wise I'm achieving more than I was a year ago. I don't have to attend classes at the gym anymore because I can trust my own self motivation to ensure I have a great session. I'm losing inches rather than pounds and looking much more lean because of it. I have had a few set backs in the past 12 months with various illnesses, toothache and a shoulder sublux, but I'm still going!

My diet has had quite a radical overhaul, I'm now one of those people who can be found in health food shops on their lunchbreaks and nearly everything I eat is unprocessed. Infact, tomorrow I'm at meetings in London all day and one of my planned trips is to Wholefoods in Soho for some goodies. I no longer follow any sort of 'lifestyle plan'. I understand what I should and shouldn't be eating and I know I'm making sensible choices - after all I'm maintaining my weight. I still weigh the foods that I know could become troublesome, but thats as high maintenance as my food gets.
Whilst its not something I can take the credit for 100%, Mr H has seen the changes I have made to my own lifestyle and has jumped on the band wagon. As of this weekend just gone he has lost 1 stone! He now weighs the same as I did when I set out on my weight loss mission (which is pretty scary when I think about how tall he is!). He's acheived this by no longer supplementing the food I make for him with sweets, full fat pepsi, etc and he also goes to the gym 4 times a week... I think he's even caught the running bug from me :) I couldn't be more proud of the changes he's made, it means we're both setting ourselves up for a fit and healthy future.

On a personal level this year has thrown up some things that have really helped me put things into perspective. I am thankful...
* that I have a husband who loves me unconditionally, he doesn't care if I'm 160lbs or 120lbs, he just wants me to be happy.
* that I have been in a good position to ride out this recession without any major impacts on my life. Sure we've had some tight times, but we've found a way through.
* that I have an amazing group of friends, this year has been tough for some of them and it's warmed my heart how everyone has helped out where they can.
* for the new friends that have come into my life.
* for the support of the lovely WI girls, your the best set of invisible friends a girl could ask for :)
* for my family, they are always there when I need them and always have an honest word to say. You never get that kind of honesty from anyone else, so I really appreciate that.
* that I am alive, healthy and well.
* that I have enjoyed being 26.

Here's to hoping that being 27 will be everything 26 was... and a little bit more :D

4 comments:

  1. Wonderfull post Nic. Will see you on the other side!! ;) Here's to our last day of being 26.

    We're offically in our late 20s now I reckon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh what a lovely post Nic- so positive! happity birthday for tomorrow. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noooo! Surely until we hit 27.5 we're still in our mid 20's?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK Deal - fine by me!!! We'll say Jan 2011 then yeah?!

    ReplyDelete