Thursday 1 July 2010

Birthday Brilliance

I woke up early yesterday morning to open my Birthday pressies. I got a whole range of exciting things. As per usual I got a lot of bakeware (muffin moulds, spatula, oven gloves, mixing bowls, chocolate mould, cake tester, sprinkles, glitters, icing bags, 2 x heart shaped pink Le Crueset Bowls, cupcake liners, cookery books, polka dot trays), a new sewing box (which is hot pink with a silver coloured button on the front), some grey leopard print tights, some money, some socks, some cupcake related items, trainers and a whole stash of chocolate. Now I'm not sure why I got so much chocolate, about 3 years ago I imposed a ban on friends and family buying me chocolate - I just don't need the temptation! But that appears to have been thrown out the window. Off the top of my head I can remember the following:

* 2 enormous bars of Dairy Milk
* 1 Box of Lindor
* 1 Box of Munchies
* Giant bag of pick and mix
* A packet of cookies
* A box of Maltesers
* Assorted Marshmallows
* Bag of Haribo

Seriously?! This is going to see me through to my birthday next year. I'm still struggling to find the time to finish the chocolate were given for Christmas 6 months ago!!

Anyhoo, I had to be in London for the day, so I got dressed and set off. When I arrived in London I decided to treat myself to a Tall Hazelnut Hot Chocolate with Cream and I didn't make it skinny. It was lush. I also like getting a hot chocolate in the morning because it provides me with a makeshift weapon as I walk through a particular rough street. There is a drop in centre that offers homeless people breakfast & shower facilities. Now whilst most of the people who are waiting outside when I walk past in the morning just keep themselves to themselves, there are others that shout at you, etc. So I like to have something practical that I could use if someone got a bit too close. I was a little later than I usually am when I walked down the street, so I was greated with a man who was face down in a pile of his own vomit with a stash of injectables next to him being treated by the Ambulance service.... all in front of a school excursion of children no more than about 7 years old... Welcome to London kids!

I stopped off at my office and randomly saw some of Mr H's colleagues who are working on a joint bid with my company. Was a nice suprise to see them as I think they are lovely.

After my brief catch up with my colleagues in the office, I set off to Borough Market. On my way through I picked up a banana and a Boston Brownie from Konditor & Cook to get me through my day of dull meetings. Just before heading into my meeting, I picked up a can of San Pelligrino Lemon from EAT and headed up to my meeting room.

Boring would be an understatement. It was seriously the worst day of dull meetings ever. The meeting rooms were hotter than the surface of the sun. We took a break for lunch at 2pm and I had a few buffet sandwiches (which sucked) and a handful of crisps. At this point my plans to head to Wholefoods over in Soho had to be scrapped because I'd never make it there and back in time. So I took another stroll into Borough Market and then around the Tate Modern.

At 5pm the meeting finished and I got a good pace on walking back to Waterloo. I leapt on a train and got back to Winchester at about 6.30pm, raced home in the car and got in the door at 6.45pm. Outside the house Mr H had set up a 'Happy Birthday' banner and some helium balloons (so cute!). Inside on the kitchen side was a big box wrapped in cupcake paper sitting on top of a bag from a local fabric shop. At this point I wasn't sure what was inside, I'd hinted for various large items for my Birthday, one of which was a sewing machine. Knowing Mr H, this bag could have been a decoy. I ripped open the paper and could see the edge of what could be the most exciting present this girl could have ever wanted.....


My very own *pink* Kitchenaid Artisan Mixer. I cannot wait to get started using this bad boy. I've been browsing the accessories for it this morning and am squeeling with excitement inside about things like the ice cream maker, the can opener, the grinders, shredders, pasta makers, sausage stuffers etc!

Back to last night, after opening my pressie I had a quick 10 minutes to shove on something pretty and head up the road for dinner. We were met by my Dad, Stepmum, Nan, Brother, his wife, BIL and his wife. We sat outside having drinks and opening more pressies. From my Dad & co I got a book on Sewing, some proper fabric scissors & a Hula Hoop (along with my road tax paid for), my Nan gave me some money, and BIL + SIL gave me some silicone cupcake moulds, a cupcake book and some cute brooches that my SIL makes.

We sat down for dinner and I had 3 course (what a pig!). To start I had a Goats Cheese Parcel on Tomato Cous Cous, main was Rib Eye Steak and chips, pud was Chocolate & Amaretto Torte with Raspberries. Lush Lush Lush. Also had a glass of wine with my meal.

We left the pub around 10pm and walked down the hill back home, we had a great laugh with the hula hoop on route - goodness knows what anyone who saw us was thinking, me going crazy inside a hula hoop & Mr H walking along with a handbag and a Joules paper bag!

After getting home we opened all the doors and windows and took the pugs out for a late night airing to cool them down. Because it's so stuffy at the moment they are really getting quite hot. It was nice to have an opportunity to walk off dinner and spend a bit of time with them before we all went to bed.

Today is traditionally my weigh in/measurements day. Because of my excesses last night I'm going to defer weigh in/measurements/photos for a few more days, will probably do them all at the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fab day xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww your birthday sounds great, what lovely presents!! and how lucky to get a kitchen aid for your birthday! i've been desperte for one for ages, Ben says we can get one with some of our wedding money after the Hmoon! eeee! keep us posted on how you get on with it. x

    ReplyDelete