Thursday 19 August 2010

A goal without a plan is just a wish

The quote in the title today is provided by Larry Elder, I can't remember where I found this lurking on the internet, but it stuck and was quite apt considering how I've been feeling lately.

As I posted yesterday, I feel a bit lost without having any goals to aim for. In an attempt to sort it out, I thought I’d refer to my pledges which I last revised on Thursday 6th May 2010.

Generally, I’ve done ok with these goals, even if I haven’t been thinking about them in the last few months.

1.I will exercise 5 times a week, every week unless I am ill/injured.
Most weeks I exercise 5 times unless illness or injury has got in the way.

2. I will maintain my weight below 9st 8lbs
My weight has been steady around 9st 2lbs for a long time now. So below 9st 8lbs is no problem at all.

3. I want to lose another 1-2" off my hips/thighs

I did make some progress on hips/thighs then it all went to pot again, this is still a good goal to have.

4. I want to define my abs, butt, thighs and arms.
I’m actually generally quite happy with how my upper body looks now, sure more definition is welcomed but my main problem areas are butt/thighs.

5. I want to up my arm weights to the next set up of 7.5kg.
Arm weights went to pot when my sublux got worse. I’m currently lifting a 5kg total barbell for chest press and am doing some above head work with a 1.25kg weight. Until my shoulder is mended, this has to go on hold.

6. I want to increase my leg press weights to over 200lbs.
Leg press is up and over 200lbs, I’m pressing over 240lbs at the moment.

7. I will be able to do 10+ proper Man Push ups.
8. I will conquer the Monkey Bars at the recreation park.

Push ups are on hold because of my shoulder, as are the monkey bars

9. I want to run at least 15 miles a week.
Some weeks I run 15 miles, other weeks I don’t. I’m still enjoying my not so regular approach to running. I’ve found that by setting myself a target like this, I tend not to do it. Oddly when it comes to running, I prefer to do it on the spur of the moment more than following a plan. Probably why I doubt I’ll ever run a structured race, couldn’t guarantee I’d do the training!

10. I will drink 2 litres of water a day, especially at weekends when I know I struggle.
2 litres of water a day is still a struggle at weekends, but I’m making a conscious effort right now. This is a good goal to have all the time.

11. I will eat 5 fruit/veg a day.
5 fruit/veg a day is a doddle now. I can do it without even thinking about it.

It’s definitely time I thought of some more goals and updated some others....

1. I will exercise 5 times a week, every week unless I am ill/injured.
2. I will maintain my weight below 9st 4lbs
3. I want to lose 1-2" off my hips/thighs
4. I want to lose 1” off my waist
5. I will do my physio everyday to ensure the best possible results so I can get back to regular training as soon as possible.
6. I want to increase my leg press weights to over 300lbs.
7. I want to make Sunday Run-day a regular feature in the week and supplement with at least one other road run each week (and keep this going as the days get shorter and colder)
8. I will drink 2 litres of water a day, especially at weekends when I know I struggle.
9. Achieve 75% lean body mass according to the crazy spreadsheet I have.
10. Add something new into the mix each week, whether a class at the gym/locally, a bike ride, a swim, etc.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of Sunday Run-day! Sounds like you're doing well with all your goals :-)

    ReplyDelete