Tuesday 31 August 2010

Weekend Recap

Friday finished up pretty good. We had a nice homemade turkey curry for dinner with some rice and a small naan and of course some mango chutney - yum!

Saturday morning changed my weekend plans. My face was swollen AGAIN! The last time it happened was 22nd July. Looking back at my food diary for 21st July and also Friday, there is nothing significant in what I ate to suggest that its a reaction to something food related. I visited the gym both days, but I clearly visit the gym rather regularly. It is still quite a mystery. As a result of looking like Popeye's sister, I bailed out of the photoshoot :( - how gutted was I! I'd even spent the Friday evening after my Tesco shop making a bouquet.

Instead we spent Saturday just pottering around... well all apart from a major impulse purchase. We'd gone out to get some Petrol for Mr H's car and on our way back through town I ask if it was worth popping into the Furniture store as they had a stock clearance sale on. Last year we were after a new sofa and saw one we loved, but they wouldn't take our offer of £1000 on it (they wanted £1200), we thought about it too long and by the time we decided to up our offer to match what they wanted someone else had bought it. Because we have dogs, we prefer leather sofas and we also prefer to buy ex-showroom stock because with dogs theres no point having anything expensive and new. Anyhoo, we went in and they had a new ex-showroom sofa on display. It didn't have a price on so we thought it had probably been sold. We asked the showroom assistant who said it was not only still for sale, but it was only £925! BARGAIN!

We went home and thought about it for a while, then went into action plan mode. Called a van hire place - no vans, called another - shut, then got a call back from the first place saying they had just had one returned! Score! We went and checked the sofa out one last time to make sure it was what we wanted, then paid for it. We then drove across town, hired the van, took it back to the furniture shop and re-arranged most of the store to get our sofa out. Drove home, took old sofas out of the living room, cleaned & tidied, then loaded in new sofa. Finally taking the old sofa to the recycling centre where it immediately went on sale and took the van back.

It's amazing, a vintage-y brown aniline leather, so soft, pocket sprung, high backed corner unit. This is the catalogue picture, in real life the brown is probably a little paler than this. Though that said, it does seem to change colour depending on the time of the day and the type of light you view it in.

It is mega comfy. It's also really nice to be able to sit together in an evening too. With our old sofas we used to have one each, with these we can both slouch around and be within touching distance. Perfect for winter snuggling I reckon. We now just need to buy a blanket for humans to snuggle under and a blanket to leave out during the day/night time for the pugs to snuggle on.

Food for Saturday was Protein Shake, Curry Wrap for Lunch, Steak for dinner. On Sunday we were up early and in town to get a last minute belated birthday present. Whilst we were out we ended up getting two other things...

* A book called "Bear in Underwear". Whilst we don't have kids yet, over the last year we have been buying the occasional childrens book when we see an awesome one in preparation. It started in NYC in 2009 when we found a pop up book with pugs in! This new book is seriously awesome, I'll post a bit more about it tomorrow.

* Mr H also treated me to this fabulous Paul & Joe lipstick. Yes it's shaped like a cat. Awesome!

After town, we headed over to Basingstoke and into Primark for a look around. I didn't really find that much that I liked. I ended up with a new waist cinching belt with a vintage inspired buckle at the front, a grey & red striped long sleeve top and a pair of 120 denier footless tights.

Probably the biggest break through for Sunday was what I wore out. I wore leggings. I'm still not sure about the leggings and long t-shirts trend, but I tried it out and despite that when I bent over my ass was fully on show (hate leggings with seams, so I wear tight footless tights), it worked ok. Not sure I'd do it again, but it was good to put myself outside of my comfort zone for once.

We had lunch at pub and we all ordered the roast of the day. It wasn't actually that great, but the chocolate brownie pudding made up for it. Unfortunately our lunch date was rudely interupted by a terrible Robbie Williams tribute act. His act started with a voiceover stating that a limo had just arrived and that if any women had ice in their glass, they'd better put it down their knickers - SERIOUSLY! I'm trying to eat my lunch here. Thankfully we were just about done, so left shortly after it began. I felt quite sorry for other diners who were right next to his set up and had to endure not only his crazy singing and dancing, but also his repeated leaps onto tables! I think perhaps the staff should have mentioned something when they were taking sunday lunch bookings!

Other food for Sunday included a 2 Protein Shakes and a steak pizza wrap.

Later on the Sunday we had an awesome dog walk around the park, on the way we rescued yet another dog - this time it spotted us from it's driveway and ran straight down and into the road. Mr H was waving at a car coming down the road which wasn't slowing down, eventually he handed over Dolly to me and stepped into the road as this little 1 eyed Pom named Barney came trotting across the road. I gave the car some suitable abuse, mother fuckers! I really despise people driving through our village fast and I cannot understand why a man standing on the pavement pointing at a dog standing on the edge of the road wasn't enough of a reason to slow down. Mr H thankfully managed to get to the other side of the road and scoop up the dog and the car just drove around him. Barney was super cute and his owners were really suprised that he'd ventured down the driveway at all, apparently he doesn't have many dog friends. I'm totally going to arrange a doggy play date!

After our dog walk, we headed down to the local swimming pool. It was superb! I'd forgotton how much I love swimming. It was £3.10 for a session and I did 36 lengths in the 30 minutes we were in the pool. I mainly did breast stroke, but mixed it up a little with some doggy paddle and swimming on my back. I was really tired when I was finished and the next day (and even today) I'm a little achey. Result! Will definitely be going back.

Looking at my goals for the week overall, I didn't complete everything, but still did ok.
* Vitamins everyday - check!
* Food Diary everyday - check!
* Run at least 3 x 3 miles - 1/3 FAIL
* Exercise at least 5 times (including the running) - 5/5 check!
* Drink 2 litres of water a day - check!
* Do my physio workout everyday - check!
* Get to the pool! - check! 36 lengths in 30 minutes

Will work on the running some more this coming week, the weather is supposed to be better afterall!

2 comments:

  1. Love the new sofa! I hate idiot drivers, so many people seem to have no regard for other people/animals safety, glad you rescued the dog.

    Just a thought but you're not allergic to the flowers are you? I'm probably pointing out something you've already thought of but I thought I'd say it just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mum wondered if it was something I was handling, it's a possibility, but I so rarely have flowers in the house because I get hayfever that I don't think thats the common link. Good suggestion though!

    ReplyDelete