Thursday 22 July 2010

Completely off topic

I sky+'d a docuentary a few nights ago called 'The Cove'. I didn't really know what to expect when I sat down to watch it this evening other than it was Oscar winning and about the illicit slaughter of dolphins in Taijia, Japan.

What followed in the next 90 odd minutes was something I was totally unprepared for. The tears streaming down my face probably tell you all you need to know.

Every year thousands of dolphins are callously slaughtered after being herded into the natural coves of Taijia in the Japan coastline. Of those trapped, the best are sold off to aquariums or places that you can go to swim with dolphins, the rest are slaughtered and sold to supermarkets for human consumption. Of course it isn't just occuring in this one coastal village, it's taking place all over Japan.

It's not often I see something that makes me want to stand up and do something about it. But this is definately one of those things.

I urge you all to suck it up and watch the documentary. I'd be hard pushed to think that anyone would be able to watch it without being absolutely horrified by what they see.

To find out what you can do in the UK to help...

http://www.campaign-whale.org/campaigns/japan-dolphins

1 comment:

  1. GOD thats horrific! i'll look out for the documentary!

    ReplyDelete