Friday 2 July 2010

Death & New Goals

The opening lines of Stand by Me springs to mind this morning..."I was 12 going on 13 the first time I saw a dead human being. It happened in the summer of 1959-a long time ago, but only if you measure in terms of years. I was living in a small town in Oregon called Castle Rock. There were only twelve hundred and eighty-one people. But to me, it was the whole world."

I've just turned 27 and this morning on the way to work I saw my first dead body. We cover about 100 miles to and from work each day on major roads (motorways & A roads), so I'm fairly used to seeing accidents on the road. However, we've never been past an accident so soon after it happened where there is a fatality in the road. We drove past as the police were trying to cover the body with a blanket - no ambulance was on its way, it was clearly too late.

I was oddly upset by the sight of a stranger lying lifeless in the road, I even shed some tears. Mr H just thought I was weird, but I could just imagine what this persons relatives will go through later on today when they find out the news. I could even imagine what must have been going through the mind of the lorry driver especially when I think it was unlikely that he could have done anything to avoid this rogue pedestrian on such a major road. It's what made me think of Stand by Me, take me back 15 years and I'm sure at face value I would have thought a dead body sounded cool, but of course the dead body bit aside, this lifeless shape used to be somebody. Someones child, someones parent, someones sibling, someones friend.

Needless to say, I didn't feel much like breakfast this morning.

In an attempt not to dwell too much on the tragic sight I saw this morning, I thought it would be sensible to set some new goals for the month. June wasn't great for food or exercise, the tooth problems I had really knocked my progress. I want to have a great July to make up for it!

So the plan is:
1. Exercise at least 5 times a week & log it.
2. Get my running back on track (first stop Beale Park 10k 07/07).
3. Following my first physio session next Monday, keep up the exercises and work with the gym instructor to create a new sensible arm weights regime.
4. Take the next leap on weights - clearly I've lost strength in some areas, but I can still improve in others. I want to be able to leg press 120kg which is more than double my weight. The other weights I use will be upped to the next set. For my dumbells I want to increase another 2-2.5kg and my bar weights I want to increase between 2.5kg and 5kg.
5. Get my eating back on track, June contained too many treaty foods and given that I've got a carrier bag full of chocolate I need to be mindful to not eat it all in one go.
6. To try one new food each week.
7. Drink more water! I've been really slack lately and I'm totally feeling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment