Thursday 1 April 2010

Why do people think that healthy eating is something to mock?

I'm working at home today. I just found an empty container on the stairs where I guess Mr H emptied out his work bag this morning before heading off to work. This is what I saw... *

At what point did someone think it was ok to mock him for what he is eating?

For the record, Mr H does not eat badly, he eats what I eat and supplements it with a few treats here and there, crisps, biscuits, fully loaded Pepsi, but nothing too extravagent and not that regularly either.

The contents of this tub when Mr H went into work was Spinach & Rocket Salad, leftover Moroccan Jewelled Cous Cous and a couple of slices of Ham - not what I would consider 'Diet Food'.

What pisses me off is that someone thought this was funny to do, what it probably has acheived is detrimental to what Mr H is trying to acheive. He knows he's a little out of shape, and we're both trying hard to make ourselves look beach ready for Dubai in 7 weeks time. Stupid comments like that can really send a person off course, whether they meant it or not, I'm sure that Mr H subconsiously took that in and took it to heart. He hates the idea of being on a diet - but we're not on a diet, we're just eating right. For example, last night he told me off for making him a 'fry up' for dinner. What I had actually made was 1 x poached egg, 1 rasher bacon with fat removed before cooking, a few tbsp of baked beans, dry fried mushrooms, 1.5 quorn sausages and homemade hash browns (done in fry light in a pan, then crisped up further in the oven). Yes, its a regular meal, but I've cut out most of the bad.

I just wish people could be more supportive... or in lieu of support, just keep their mouths shut.

* just incase you can't read the writing in permanent pen on one of our microwave dishes it says 'Ben is on a diet. Do not feed!'

2 comments:

  1. People really don't get it, do they! Seriously, they view the people around them eating well (ie healthily) as a threat to them, as a personal dig at their unhealthy habits, and they go into full on 'attack is the best form of defence' mode... Had it myself this weekend too, so Mr H is not alone. The inclusion of a salad leaf in a meal is practically an offence these days it would seem! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: my verification word for that post was 'wifiest'... Ha! 'You're just the wifiest wife...' love it...

    ReplyDelete